6. MORE TEACHINGS OF JESUS. ANOTHER LOST SON (Luke 15:25-32)
BACKGROUND INFORMATION: As the matter of fact, the Father had left half of his property to his elder son when the younger one got his inheritance (verse 12). It was not the fault of the Father that his son didnít believe his word.
1. Can a young man be happy if he feels that his parents donít love him?
Why didnít the older son leave all and go abroad with his brother, if he was unhappy with his life at home?
What do you think the older son longed for more than anything else in his life?
2. Why did the older son consider himself almost as a slave, although his Father had promised him half of his property (12b, 29, 31)?
If the Father of this parable means God and the younger brother a person who rids himself of his Christian faith, whom might you think the older brother represents?
Do you think the Father treated his sons in a fair manner?
Do you think God always treats us people in a fair manner?
3. What may the older son have been thinking while toiling on the fields day after day?
If you have ever felt like the older son in verses 29-30, in which situation did it happen?
What was the real reason why the older son didnít ever give a party for his friends (29)?
How would the Father have taken it if his son had killed a goat, a sheep or even a calf and given a party for his friends (30-31)?
4. What was the real reason why the older son lost his temper in this situation (27-28)?
The younger son had already humiliated his Father in front of the whole village, and now the older one did the same. Why didnít this Father get angry?
What is the impression you get of the Father from verses 28b and 31-32?
What is the impression you get of God from verses 28b, 31-32?
5. Why didnít the older son love his Father, although the Father had always been so good to him?
Discuss on the basis of this parable: What could be the reason if we donít love God?
6. The older son thought that he had always fulfilled the will of his Father (29). And yet, what did the Father expect from his son most of all?
What shows us that the older son didnít love his younger brother at all (30)?
Whom did the older son love?
7. Why did Jesus cut his story in the middle without telling us if the older son went to the party or not (28, 32)?
8. In the parables of Jesus, a feast often refers to heaven. According to this parable, who will eventually get into heaven?
According to this parable, whose fault is it if somebody does not end up in heaven?
9. Imagine the situation when the two young men went to work on the fields the following morning. What was the mood of the older brother, what about the younger one?
All the people of the world resemble one or the other of the sons in this parable. Which one do you think you resemble? (You can answer in your heart.)
10. GLAD TIDINGS QUESTIONS: Jesus says to you: ďAll that is mine, is yours.Ē On his cross he earned a place for you in heaven. He gave this inheritance to you in the day of your baptism. The older brother didnít believe this promise, but toiled for his inheritance as a slave. Do you believe, that you will get your heavenly inheritance free, or do you try to earn it with good works? (You can answer in your heart.)
(For everyone to answer): What is the most important thing you learned during this Bible study?