To begin with: Let’s revise what happened during the five first creation days. In the first chapter the Creator is called «God», in the second one «the Lord God».
• What can we conclude when we notice that mammals and humans were created on the same day?
• Why does God say: “Let the earth bring forth living creatures» - though he made them himself (24-25)?
• With whom did God plan the creation of man? (Why is plural used in the creation story only when man is created?)
• Which task did God already plan for man before his creation?
• What does it mean that the creation was given for man to rule/dominate? (How can nature be ruled for its advantage, not for its destruction? 26b, 28b)
• How does the creation of man differ from the creation of nature?
• What does it mean that man is a) like God b) created in his image?
• What makes man more valuable than an animal?
• What happens in the world where man is thought to be just like an animal and animals are thought to be as valuable as people?
• Compare two young people who hear: «You are an animal that belongs to the homo sapiens species» or «God has created you in his image».
• Think why two genders are needed for «the image of God»: a man and a woman?
• What happens in a world where dividing people as men and women is forbidden?
• What would you say to a man or a woman who experiences their gender to be wrong or that they are neither of the two genders? (Compare Matt. 19:12)
• Define the blessing of God described in verses 22 and 28. What does it contain?
• Why was it not appropriate for people or for animals to to eat meat before the fall of man?
• How would such a world be where nobody would threaten or kill anybody?
• What does verse 31 say to the people who blame God for a horrible situation in the world?
• Think about different reasons why even the Almighty God wanted to rest the seventh day?
• In the first chapter the ability to multiply was mentioned twice to be a blessing (22, 28). What does verse 3 add to the definition of the blessing?
• What happens if man works seven days in a week?
• The word «sanctify» means separation. How should one sanctify the sabbath/restday?
• Think about what kind of blessings you could get if you rested and sanctified one day in a week for the word of God?
Verses 2:4-6 (See verse 6 in NIV or ESV)
• Which time do these verses relate to? To which verses in the previous chapter do they refer to?
Applied questions (if time):
• What are weaknesses of Darwinism?
• Is it possible for creation and the theory of evolution to be compatible?
• Think why Darwinism has caused oppression and even destruction of the weak during its history (for example the nazis in Germany). Finally: God created man and himself became a man in Jesus Christ. This shows us the value of humans – your value, too. You have also been created in the image of God, and Jesus was born to this world to atone for your sins, too. You life has a meaning that no one else can fill.