20. MARRIAGE, DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE (Matt.19:1-12)
- DIVORCE 1-9
- Why were the Pharisees occupied with the question of divorce (vs.3)?
- What do people in our time think about divorce?
- According to Jesus, what happens when two people get married (verses
- The leader should read Deut.24:1. What exactly did Moses command and what did he allow in this passage? Compare his words with the Pharisees' interpretation of them
- According to Jesus, what are the arguments for a life-long marriage
- Why do you think unfaithfulness is the one and only reason that Jesus would accept for divorce
- What will happen in a society where divorce becomes more and more
- REMARRIAGE 9-10
- Compare verses 8-9 to Matt.5:32. What does Jesus teach about remarriage while the divorced spouse is still living? Stick to the text!
- The leader should read 1 Cor.7:10-11 and
Rom.7:2-3. What does Paul teach about remarriage while the previous spouse is living?
- Why did the disciples react as they did to Jesus' teaching (verse 10)?
- Why do you think the teaching of Jesus and Paul concerning remarriage is practically stifled to death even inside Christian churches of our
- SINGLENESS 11-12
- What does it mean that somebody is born as "an eunuch"?
- In what ways may other people make a person unable to marry?
- What does it mean in practice that somebody renounces marriage because of the kingdom of
- Do you think that a person can lead a good life without sexual fulfillment? Give your reasons.
- What, according to Jesus, is more important for a Christian than attaining personal happiness?
- Whose good was Jesus concerned about when making such strict rules for our relationships with the other sex?
- What should a person, who has not fulfilled the commandments Jesus gives in this passage, do?
- What do you think will happen to a person's attitude to the Bible if he/she denies the validity of Jesus' teaching in this passage?
GLAD TIDINGS: The leader should read John 8:4-11
© 2012 Glad Tidings Bible Studies - www.gladtidings-bs.com